Past Posts

Monday, March 13, 2017

Travel Caution: Migration Encountered in the Bootheel

Disclaimer: This is a really long post, but I was hoping it can be used as a potential reference for those wishing to visit this portion of the state. Another good resource is the most recent edition of the New Mexico Bird Finding Guide, as well as eBird.

I spent the weekend in the Peloncillo Mountains of extreme southwestern NM, and managed to find quite a few species. The main purpose of the trip was to conduct a survey for Whiskered Screech-Owl (Megascops trichopsis) along the Geronimo Trail road through Clanton Canyon and into Arizona. For those interested in this aspect of the trip, or just interested in the history of M. trichopsis in New Mexico, take a look at my newly christened Whiskered Screech-Owl page. I'll be updating this with data collected on my surveys, as well as other information that I find on this species. For a bird that is coveted by so many listers, and with a range so close to a major population center and a University (Tucson), very little seems to have been published concerning the natural history of this species anywhere in its range.

For those who may not have been to this portion of the state before, I try to provide a thorough itinerary as well as tips. It is an awesome and rugged part of the state, and has a lot of potential, but it is under-birded. While I certainly encourage greater coverage, birding this area is NOT like birding the foothills of the Sandias, or even the Organ Mtns. It is remote, and it is vitally important to carry LOTS of water, have a plan, and let others know where you are going. Don't expect to run into anyone if you are in need of help. While Border Patrol are diligently patrolling this area, I only run into them sporadically, don't expect them to show up if you get into a bind. There is always the possibility of encountering illegal immigrants or smugglers in these mountains, though I have only had an encounter of this nature once. It is wise to hike in small groups, if nothing else, to ensure someone can help you if you become injured. Especially if this is your first trip, go with someone who knows where to go, particularly if you're hiking into Guadalupe Canyon. Finally, DO NOT trespass on private property. This is a wilder corner of the world, and landowners shooting first and asking questions later is not unheard of down here. So, with the disclaimer out of the way, lets get to it!

Signage near Geronimo Pass in the Peloncillo Mountains, Hidalgo County, NM
In many trips I have only encountered any of the listed activities once, and local Border Patrol Agents have confirmed my suspicions that this is a rare occurrence. Most people, whether smugglers or immigrants, want nothing to do with you, and traffic in these mountains is relatively light. You're in much greater danger of being bitten by a rattlesnake or dying of dehydration.

I left Las Cruces at about 11:00am on Friday after my only class of the day and headed west on I-10. I was hoping to make it to Clanton Canyon with plenty of light so I could drive the road and make sure I could do it with my low clearance vehicle before I attempted to drive the road at night. The roads have been smoothed since the last rain event (including the Guadalupe Canyon Rd), making them quite passable, but *incredibly* dusty. I did it in a Prius, and I didn't experience any dicey spots. There was very little water in the stream crossings, and what water was present was less than 2 inches deep. Of course this can change with the first major rain event, but this road is usually kept in pretty good condition. The Guadalupe Canyon road, not so much, but for now it is pretty easy to navigate.

My first stop of the trip came at the Lordsburg WTP. There wasn't much of note aside for a flock of about 20 Ring-billed Gulls (Larus delawarensis). My next stop was the Lordsburg Playa which lies at the junction of I-10 and Hwy 338. This stop too was rather mundane. I proceeded south on Hwy 338 to Animas.

Once in Animas I decided to top off with gas. I would highly recommend this for anyone travelling into the Peloncillos from here. There is no reliable gas in Rodeo, and though it is a little pricey ($2.39/gallon), it beats getting stranded in the mountains.
As I drove through Animas I searched the agricultural fields hoping to turn up the Crested Caracara (Caracara cheriwayi) that has been sporadically been reported in the area since January. I had no luck. I continued south on Hwy 338 (which eventually becomes C001). I made a brief and birdless stop at Dunagan Crossing where I was surprised to see the Cottonwoods (Populus spp) had already begun leafing out.

View of Dunagan Crossing just to the south. Birding permitted only along the road
Mar. 10, 2017
Continuing south on Hwy 338/C001, I eventually came to MM 24, at which point the road becomes dirt. Aside for being wash-boarded and very dusty, it wasn't too bad, though it was the worst dirt road I encountered all weekend. Eventually the turnoff for Geronimo Trail loomed to my right, and I continued west into the Peloncillo Mountains. Soon I had passed the Coronado National Forest welcome sign and was itching to find some birds.
A sample of the Oak (Quercus spp.) habitat at the mouth of Clanton Canyon near the Black Dam CCC CG
Mar. 10, 2017
 Of all the mountain ranges I have visited in New Mexico, the Peloncillos very well may be my favorite (though the San Juan Mountains in north central NM are stiff competition). The exotic, sky island feel is only furthered by the noisy squadrons of marauding Mexican Jays (Aphelocoma wollweberi) and the rattle of boisterous Bridled Titmice (Baeolophus wollweberi). The lower portion of the canyon is dominated by very tall Oaks (Quercus spp.) which become shorter further up the canyon and the upper portions are dominated by more Juniper (Juniperus spp.) and Chihuahuan Pine (Pinus leiophylla). It is at these upper portions that one may find Arizona Woodpecker (Picoides arizonae). This mountain range is the only publicly accessible place in which one may find P. arizonae in New Mexico. I managed to find several pair working along the road between the Pine Campground and Geronimo Seep.
Pine Campground, though unmarked, is an obvious pullout with a stone fire ring about a mile from the Black Dam CCC Campground. Geronimo Seep is located at the top of a steep road that is about a mile past Pine Campground. The turnoff is right before Geronimo Trail swings southward after travelling predominately east-west from Pine Campground.  At the top of the road is a large cleared dirt area and just beyond to the west (easily visible) is a fairly large pond of sorts surrounded by rushes.
Continuing along the road, one eventually come to the pass, which is marked by a sign and a sweeping view of the Peloncillos on the Arizona side.
Marker at Geronimo Pass in the Peloncillo Mtns, Hidalgo County, NM
Mar. 10, 2017
Approximately 0.2 mi beyond the pass is a wide spot and a gully that intersects the road with a sign that says "Trail." This is part of Upper Cottonwood Canyon, and the trail apparently leads up and over the pass. New Mexico birders however, know this as the "traditional" spot for Lucifer Hummingbird (Calothorax lucifer). No C. lucifer today, but I did have a surprise brush with a Magnificent Hummingbird (Eugenes fulgens) as it zipped away from me.

One of my all-time favorite vistas in NM- Peloncillo Mtns looking southwest into AZ from Upper Cottonwood Canyon
Mar. 10, 2017
By now it was beginning to get dark, so I drove back out of the canyon to get into position to conduct the surveys for which I was primarily making this trip. Everyone who knows me well will know that I have a soft spot for Owls and Nightjars. Something about relying entirely upon vocalizations to identify a species is not only challenging, but the mystique associated makes for some incredibly memorable experiences. There is also a great bit of mystery surrounding many nocturnal species which makes great fodder for future study. In short, I would have no problem spending the rest of my life pulling all-nighters studying owls and nightjars only to go birding during the day (particularly convenient for a compulsive twitcher). One day soon I may end up in the cloud forests of Peru, but for now its pine-oak forest in the borderlands of the United States. Still a pretty romantic setting for a budding ornithologist.
After doing a fair bit of research I discovered that there is very little published information on M. trichopsis, so I decided to create a methodology to survey for them in the peloncillos. The last survey for the species had been conducted by Sandy Williams from 1990-2008, but no serious survey had been undertaken since then. For specifics, check out my M. trichopsis page. The survey began 20 minutes after sunset and ran for just over 4 hrs. I set each point 0.2 mi (approx. 300m) apart along Geronimo Trail Rd, which enabled me to conduct the route via vehicle. Next year I intend to expand the survey to the other various canyons in the range, which will be done by foot.
See all of those blue pins spaced out evenly? Those are the survey points (they continue into Cochise Co. AZ, but those don't show up here)
The spacing is based on papers I have read describing the territory size of Elf Owl (Micrathene whitneyi) and Western Screech-Owl (Megascops kennicotti), since there is nothing I could find published about territory size of M. trichopsis.

Long story short, it was an eventful night. I managed to detect at least 20 M. trichopsis (18 in NM and 2 in AZ), which as far as I can tell is the largest number anyone has reported in one night in NM (I have recordings of most, though not all). I heard 6 M. kennicotti, 3-4 Northern Pygmy-Owl (Glaucidium gnoma), 1 Great-horned Owl (Bubo virginianus), a single Elf Owl (M. whitneyi), and 46 Common Poorwill (Phalaenoptilus nuttallii). P. nuttallii tripped the eBird filter for Hidalgo county (it was set for Mar. 11, a day later) so I had quite a few write-ups to complete.
I climbed into my sleeping bag around 23:30 with an alarm set for 04:00 to begin the drive to Guadalupe Canyon the next morning.
After 4.5 hours of sleep I was up and on my way to Guadalupe Canyon.

For birders who are New Mexico state listers, Guadalupe is essential. It is 5 miles from the parking area (which is approximately 200 yards from the international border) to the ranch house along a dirt road that one must hike along. After 3 miles of hiking from the parking area in AZ one reaches the state-line, after which you have about 2 miles of road to bird in NM. The canyon has quite a few Arizona Sycamore (Platanus wrightii) and Oak (Quercus ssp). In the summer months this is the only reliable place in the state to find Violet-crowned Hummingbird (Amazilia violiceps), Thick-billed Kingbird (Tyrannus crassirostris), Northern Beardless Tyrannulet (Camptostoma imberbe), which breed here. It is also one of the best places to find Broad-billed Hummingbird (Cynanthus latirostris), and Common Ground-Dove (Columbina passerina). Rufous-winged Sparrow (Peucaea carpalis) has become a year-round resident since they were discovered in January of 2011 on the New Mexico side. This continues to be the only location where this species has been recorded in the state. The canyon also hosted New Mexico's one and only Rufous-capped Warbler (Basileuterus rufifrons) in January of 2009. Black-capped Gnatcatcher (Polioptila nigriceps) has been recorded in this canyon several times and has even successfully bred. This remains the only place in NM where this species has been found.

View of "stateline rock" from the New Mexico portion of Guadalupe Canyon, looking west towards AZ
Mar. 11, 2017
Though the weather had been unseasonably warm, it was still months before many of the specialty species were expected to arrive (namely A. violiceps and T. crassirostris), so my expectations were pretty low, though I was hoping to find P. carpalis and perhaps an early C. latirostris (which were already being reported in AZ).

I began my hike in around 5:50am with the hope of reaching the New Mexico portion of the canyon by sunrise. I arrived in NM a little later than I had hoped, but a brief stop at the International border yielded my 100th Mexico bird, and my first owl for the country. An obliging B. virginianus hooted several times from Mexico. A moment later my 101st Mexico bird began calling, P. nuttallii. After about 5 minutes I turned around and began hiking eastward for NM, reaching the state-line about an hour and a half later, which was approximately 30 minutes after sunrise. It was very quite as I hiked to towards the ranch house, though I was buzzed by an early C. latirostris, and encountered two Lucy's Warblers (Oreothlypis luciae). I then neared the cattleguard that signifies one is within about a quarter mile of the ranch house. Here a rapid "Vitchy vitchy-vitchy vrrrrrr!" sounded off several times. Eventually I decided it was must just have been a mockingbird as there was one singing in the area.
The aforementioned cattleguard also indicates is that it is time to start looking for P. carpalis.  Continuing onward, I finally came to the stream crossing from which one can see the ranch house and associated buildings clearly. As per the wishes of the owner, this is where birders turn around. Those birding in the canyon SHOULD NOT bird around the ranch house grounds. It only takes one wayward birder to have access closed off for everyone (as has happened in this part of the state in the past).
After looking for P. carpalis without luck I ramped up my scrutiny of every sparrow I came across as I began meandering back towards the cattleguard. I even tried playing the tape a few times to no avail. I had a similar experience with this species on my first hike into the canyon with Christopher Rustay in February of 2014. Perhaps it is time of year, but for me P. carpalis has proven more difficult to detect in winter than summer. After nearing the cattleguard and all but giving up, I noticed at least one P. carpalis giving its characteristically metallic "tseep" call note.  I managed to get it to pop up on the other side a bush by pishing.
Rufous-winged Sparrow (Peucaea carpalis) Guadalupe Canyon, Hidalgo County, NM
Mar. 11, 2017
I then turned and noticed a gray flycatcher perched out on a mesquite. Thinking it was an Empidonax of some ilk I took a look and realized it was actually C. imberbe. It flew off before I could get a photo, but I later heard two more singing in both NM and AZ on my hike out.

I zoned out a bit as I continued hiking out. There is very little shade over the road, so it gets quite hot and miserable on the hike out, even at this time of year. The projected high was 82F (27C), so while it was pleasant now, I anticipated an uncomfortable hike to come. I don't remember passing over the cattleguard, but next thing I know I notice two noisy gnatcatchers foraging together in a bush near some large earthmoving equipment parked on either side of the road. I take a closer look and notice the male has some black on the head, and there's also a female. After hearing them call, I figure the male is a Black-tailed Gnatcatcher (Polioptila melanura) perhaps in the company of a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (P. caerulea). Then, as I'm watching the duller bird I notice a flash of white on the undertail, and then it turns its head, showing me its rather long bill (for a gnatcatcher).
Black-capped Gnatcatcher (Polioptila nigriceps) female
Notice the fairly long bill (difficult at this angle) and predominantly white underside of the graduated tail
Guadalupe Canyon, Hidalgo County, NM
Mar. 11, 2017
I realized I was actually looking at a potential pair of P. nigriceps. I then turned my attention to the male, who gave me a more difficult time as I was unable to see the underside of his tail for any extended length of time before he'd move. The cap wasn't full, so I presume he is in the middle of a prealternate molt as none of the flight feathers seemed to be in molt. In my photos I was able to discern a predominantly white underside to the tail. In the field this bird loved to wag and flash his outer retrices, so I was able to determine those were all white. The bill didn't seem super long to me, but I had a hard time making that determination as he was certainly the more animated of the pair.
Black-capped Gnatcatcher (Polioptila nigriceps) male
Guadalupe Canyon, Hidalgo County, NM
Mar. 11, 2017
Finding this pair makes me particularly excited about the prospect of making another trip into the canyon in early May, and certainly a trip in August to see if I can confirm breeding. Now that other NM birders are aware of their presence, hopefully someone can figure out what this pair is up to. I had twitched my state P. nigriceps (possibly this same female) back in August of 2016 when a female had been found in the vicinity of the historic breeding site, the old stone cistern about 0.5 mi east of the state-line. This was the first time the species had been confirmed in NM since 2010. To find my own pair further up canyon was pretty neat.

Shortly after the excitement over the Gnatcatchers, I heard another rapid "Vitchy vitchy-vitchy vrrrr" this time much closer, and in a different location than the first. This time I was sure it was not coming from a mimid. I was amazed to be hearing a singing Bell's Vireo (Vireo bellii) in March. That said, they have been reported in AZ already this year, so perhaps it isn't so novel.

As I neared the state line the canyon began to heat up and I trudged onward. Once in AZ I essentially made a beeline for the parking area, only stopping to note a few P. carpalis giving stuttered renditions of their songs. I have no idea why they are more vocal in AZ compared to NM, perhaps its just time of day.
"State-line rock" as seen from New Mexico looking west, letting the weary birder know they are approaching AZ and 3 miles of hiking to get to their car
Mar. 11, 2017
I encountered several more O. luciea and another C. imberbe on my hike towards where I'd parked. Finally, around noon I got back to the windmill that is within 0.25 mi of the parking area. But before I went to my car I made my habitual stop at the international border to see if I couldn't add to my Mexico list.
International US/MEX border at Guadalupe Canyon
Notice the flood of undesirables and drugs coming in, just sad
Mar. 11, 2017
There used to be a fence, but I suppose it was taken out in a flood event last year. Those P. wrightii in the middle of the wash are in Sonora, Mexico. It was pretty quite, but I did hear a singing V. bellii. Perhaps it made the crossing the next night, or maybe it will hang out at this spot and breed.

Parking area for Guadalupe Canyon hike
Mar. 11, 2017
Though it feels quite remote, Mexico Hwy 2 is just a few miles south of the parking area for the canyon, and it is not unusual to hear engine breaks along the hike. On the drive out I noticed the Hwy itself for the first time (I had never seen the road cut before) and managed to see a semi travelling westbound slow enough for me to put my 400mm lens to use on something other than birds.
petrol tanker (?) heading westbound on MEX Hwy 2, Sonora, Mexico
Mar. 11, 2017
I made a quick trip over to Portal to twitch the continuing Streak-backed Oriole (Icterus pustulatus) for the year, and then headed up towards Turkey Creek where I managed to find my year Yellow-eyed Junco (Junco phaeonotus). I then made a beeline for Animas where I once again topped off on gas and made a pass for the C. cheriwayi but dipped once again. I made it to Pine Campground in Clanton Canyon just after dark.
Here I was serenaded by the resident M. trichopsis. For birders wishing to twitch this species in New Mexico, I have never missed it at this spot, and I am very sure there is a pair that resides here. I spent some time listening to it and tried to map its territory. More on that on the M. trichopsis page. I will note that this bird was not responsive to tape, so rather than subject it to tape, I would suggest a little patience on behalf of visiting birders. It likes to sing, just give it a little time.
I spent the night at Geronimo Tank. Here too I heard M. trichopsis, along with a very vocal G. gnoma. I had never camped here before (I always camped at Pine CG), so this was a novel experience for me.

In the morning (after an alarm mix-up concerning daylight savings), I birded the tank. I was surprised to flush a Wilson's Snipe (Gallinago delicate) from the edge. Several Hutton's Vireos (Vireo huttoni) were singing, and a pair of P. arizonae were working a stand of pines. I was delighted to see a Zone-tailed Hawk (Buteo albonotatus) cruise by at nearly eye-level. I imagine I must have flushed it from the pines. Curiously enough, this was my first ever for the Peloncillos. The only place I had seen B. albonotatus in Hidalgo county before was a Dunagan Crossing where a pair breeds most years.

By mid-morning I decided to explore a tank I had never been to before. Just east of Pine Campground on Geronimo Trail there is a road that heads off to the north (away from the main canyon). Follow the road for about a mile and one comes to a large tank with some extensive rushes (more than Geronimo tank). I have never heard of any birders coming back here, but I think it may be worth a visit. I had a Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) which while somewhat expected this time of year, would be a notable summer occurrence. There seems to be enough habitat, so I'll definitely be checking back here in the summer.
On the hike back to the main road (and my car) I noted the surrealistic humming whistle of a Montezuma Quail (Cyrtonyx montezumae). Definitely one of my favorite bird sounds.

My last stop in the Peloncillos came when I parked and hiked along the road the branches off to the west immediately north of the NF fire signs on Geronimo Trail. This is the first road that branches off after passing the NF welcome sign on the way in. I cannot find the canyon labeled anywhere, nor is the road labeled. The best I can guess is this is a tributary of Salt Canyon. While it doesn't offer any strikingly different habitat from Black Dam CCC Campground, it has several camping areas and plenty of tall oaks (Quercus spp.) and even a few pines.
Unnamed road with some good habitat just before NF fire signs. Peloncillo Mtns, Hidalgo County, NM
Mar. 12, 2017
 The road goes for a ways back up the canyon and seems like a good spot to check. I have not heard of any birders checking this area, but another potential spot for the Peloncillo hit list.

At MM 24 on Hwy338/C001 (immediately south of where the pavement turns to dirt) I saw a brownish bird flush and fly in front of my car. I had the windows down and was doing about 20mph, so I was able to hear the bird clearly when it sputtered a loud "Squeet-Squeet!" with equal emphasis on each syllable (unlike a Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris). My encounters with Sprague's Pipit (Anthus spragueii) have always been serendipitous, but this one may be the most unexpected.

Once again I missed the C. cheriwayi on my perusal of the agricultural fields in Animas and Cotton City, though I did see several Turkey Vultures (Cathartes aura) teetering in the early afternoon thermals.

My drive back was relatively uneventful aside for a female Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) at the small water sewage ponds behind the Dairy Queen/Gas Station/Souvenir shop at Gage (Luna County). I have observed this species several time in Luna county at the Mountain View Cemetery in Deming, but this was the first time I'd seen one away from there in Luna county.

All in all an awesome and birdy trip. I hadn't expected to see as many birds as I did, and was surprised by the number of earl-ish arrivals. Can't wait to come back in early May!

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) Gage, Luna County, NM
Mar. 12, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment